Things to ask your prospective home inspector….

admin Home Inspections March 29, 2016 Leave a reply

What you should ask your home inspector before hiring him/her

  1. How much experience do you have?

    1. Be sure you hire someone with plenty of experience. Being certified as a home inspector is great but certification cannot come close to hands on experience. Defect recognition cannot be taught in a classroom. It comes only from doing the job and great on site training.
    2. The team at 4Sight Inspections Inc. have a combined 40 years of real, hands on home inspection experience.
  2. Do you have insurance?

    1. If you hire a home inspector be sure they carry both Errors and Omissions insurance as well as General Liability. Feel free to ask for proof of insurance as well. Any inspection company that carries it will have no hesitation in showing you their documentation.
    2. 4Sight Inspections Inc. carries $2,000,000 General Liability and 1,000,000 Errors and Omissions
  3. What do you cover in your inspection?

    1. A home inspection should be comprehensive covering all aspects and components in the home.
    2. A 4Sight Inspections Inc. home inspection covers everything in and out of the home that is visible and accessible.
  4. Do you climb on the roof?

    1. A good home inspector will climb on the roof so long as it does not pose a risk to him/her. Concerns such as how steep or how high the roof is or if there is snow, ice or frost may keep the home inspector from climbing and walking on the roof.
    2. At 4Sight Inspections Inc. we climb on and walk on approximately 60% of roof structures. The other 40% are not walked on due to the above listed safety concerns.
  5. Do you go INTO the attic?

    1. A good home inspector will go into the attic and do a full walk around so long as it is safe to do so. Concerns such as asbestos (vermiculite) insulation, tight space for maneuvering and structural problems may keep an inspector from entering.
    2. At 4Sight Inspections Inc. we climb into approximately 95% of attics.
  6. Do you belong to any associations and what are your designations?

    1. A good home inspector will belong to one of many Home Inspection Associations. The better associations are OAHI, CANNACHI, CAHPI and InterNACHI
    2. All 4Sight Inspection Inc. Inspectors are members of InterNACHI and their membership is required to always remain in good standing. Each 4Sight Inspections Inc. Home Inspector holds the designation of Certified Master Inspector or Certified Professional Inspector.
  7. Do you offer any kind of guarantee on your work?

    1. A home inspection company that believes in their work will have no problem in guaranteeing they will not miss anything.
    2. At 4Sight Inspections you receive our exclusive $1,000.00 guarantee that if we miss something that could have been seen and should have been documented as a defect then we will pay up to $1,000.00 to fix the issue.
  8. How long will your home inspection take?

    1. A home inspection for a high rise condo will typically be about 1 hour. A mid unit town home 1.5 to 2.5 hours. An end unit townhome, semi detached or detached home should take 2 to 3 hours. These are approximate times of course. The actual time taken is dictated by the number of defects found in the home that require documentation.
  9. What kind of report will I receive?

    1. There are several forms of reports available. CD with digital report, printed report on site, digital report as an email attachment and digital report linked to a secure server.
    2. 4Sight Inspections Inc. uses the latest technology. All reporting is done through an app on our smart phones. The data is then synchronized with our secure server. Each report is scrutinized for errors, arrows and circles added to photo’s where necessary and then emailed via a link to the secure server. Each report is interactive and contains upwards of 100 digital photo’s from throughout the home.
  10. When will I receive my report?

    1. The answer could range from same day to 3 days typically
    2. From 4Sight Inspections Inc. you always receive your report same day and in many cases in as little as 1 hour after the inspection completes.

You have to be comfortable with the home inspection company and the home inspector that you choose. They are essentially giving you the thumbs up or thumbs down on the biggest purchase of your life. Be sure you are informed about who you are hiring.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.